A couple of weeks ago, I gave you the quick lowdown of my big plans for my 2015 backyard makeover. I know I said I would post each week, mostly promising that so that I would actually do what I plan and not let it fall to the wayside. Unfortunately, I was not able to actually do anything last weekend - I had both days off, no one coming over, nowhere to go, two glorious days with my garden - or so I thought. Sunday morning hubby and I head on over to Home Depot to pick up some more concrete blocks and as I pick up the third one my back goes "nope". I was almost in tears by the time I got home, the pain was agonizing. I was lucky, though, a couple of days (and nights) laying in an odd position on the couch, some medicated patches and a whole lot of Aleve and Robax, and I was okay by Wednesday.
So last weekend was a bust for me, and I had family over on Sunday, so I knew I had to do something today to get myself started. It was supposed to rain all day, so I got my butt in gear this morning and actually got a little bit done. Luckily no rain until just now (it's around 10:00pm as I write this), so I did get some work done and still managed to feed Marco when he came home for lunch, get some grocery shopping done, bake some donuts, do a load of laundry, and make dinner. All in all quite a productive day.
The picture above is what the corner looked like when I took my backyard pictures a couple of weeks ago. The tree is now gone. Hubby dug it up for me and it took about an hour leaning against the lamp post in front of the house with a "free" sign designed by my little guy before it found a new home. Hope it bears sweeter fruit for you than it did for me, whoever took it!
So here's my week one update. The tree is gone and I managed to get eight blocks down. This was harder than I had anticipated and this will definitely take longer than I thought. I may be forced to plant some of my seedlings into the middle of the existing bed just to make sure that they don't die on me.
I learned today that it is really, really difficult to level my backyard and also to get the bloody blocks to line up straight! Basically, I'm working with hand tools and a level, so it's tedious, but I'm setting the level, working the ground, then setting cardboard down to help keep the grass and weeds down and finally placing the block on top. There is no way in the world that I'm pulling up all that grass. First of all, that is a crazy amount of labor and secondly, what the heck am I going to do with it? I remember when we pulled up all the grass for the main plot, we must have set out thirty brown bags. You can't overload them, and the grass is so heavy, so they're only filled about a third. I didn't pull up the grass on the other side when I sectioned it off for the berry bushes either and it seems to be working out for me. I had set down landscaping mesh, covered with topsoil and then with mulch. There are some weeds and grass that pop up every now and then, but I've been pretty good about pulling them because they're so sparse, so it's really minor. I'm sure it will work on this side also.
So thanks for visiting and sit tight, I'll have another update for you next week, hopefully it will look a little more exciting!
Originally posted May 11, 2015 on sonjarants.weebly.com